Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Intro Post

Alright, first post. You can get a general description of who I am in the "about me" section.

As far as New York (City) Sports fans go, you can swing a few ways. Football and baseball give you the option of rooting for 4 different teams. The Giants and Jets of football and the Yankees and Mets of baseball. Some lucky few have grown up in this generation as both Giants and Yankee fans. These people have seen their teams win championships 6 times and make it to their sport's "finals" 9 times, as recent as the Giants' Super Bowl win in February of 2008.

I'm among the group of poor unfortunate souls sailing the Jets and Mets boat. Being born in 1987, I can't even say I was born yet when the Mets won it all in 1986 (I can, however, say that I was possibly alive and at least maybe taking shape a little bit). So from that time period on, I have seen my teams win a grand total of 0 championships, with the Mets in 2000 making the lone appearance--against the Yankees.

Throw in the Knicks (New York's only professional basketball team) and the number of championships remain the same, but the number of appearances sky rockets by 2. The Rangers lone appearance in 1994 was a win... but that's hockey.

I often wonder if we're destined to live the life of some Cubs fans who could have been alive 100 years and still never saw their team win a World Series. I won't get that far ahead of myself, but even 22 years can feel like a long time when you're a big sports fan.

This blog will include any topic that's on my mind. Sports posts will be tied loosely, not entirely, to New York area sports. Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Nick - great start. Push that dry wit humor thing you do harder. Try a little name change; "Nuthin but Nick..."

    Your Charter Member;

    Rod

    ReplyDelete